Can Chiropractors Treat Headaches?
If you struggle with recurring headaches, a chiropractor can help.
All-Natural Headache Treatments with Chiropractic Therapy
In the past, people have primarily relied on painkillers to treat headaches. However, growing awareness of the dangers of medication dependence is driving patients to seek non-pharmaceutical solutions.
If a person regularly takes over-the-counter medications for pain relief, their body will build up a tolerance to the drug's active agent. Eventually, the individual will have to take a higher dosage or switch to more powerful prescription drugs. Long term, this can cause dependence and addiction issues.
Chiropractic care is the answer. To understand just why chiropractic care is so useful for headaches, it helps to understand what causes headaches. Here are some common instigating factors:
- Spinal misalignment: When the spine's vertebrae are misaligned, they place pressure on the surrounding nerves, sending signals to the brain that result in headaches.
- Muscle tension: Muscle tension can radiate from the affected muscle throughout the body, resulting in tension headaches.
- Trauma: Events like a car accident or athletic injury can cause trauma to the spine, resulting in misalignment. A significant impact can also damage soft tissues.
- Drug overuse: Medication-overuse headaches are common in people who frequently take pills for pain relief. They are essentially a withdrawal symptom, occurring when the person stops taking the medication.
- Migraines: Migraines are a severe type of headache, with symptoms including nausea and light sensitivity. They have many triggers, from lack of sleep to stress.
Chiropractors have various techniques to address these causes. For example, spinal manipulation is used to fix subluxations (misaligned vertebrae), while massage therapy alleviates muscle tension and improves circulation to damaged soft tissues. Research even shows chiropractic care is effective in treating some migraine triggers. For example, it can enhance the quality of sleep.
Schedule Your Headache Treatment in Duluth, Georgia
Chronic headaches shouldn't hold you back from everyday activities like work, school, and socializing. Duluth Chiropractic and Wellness Center offers chiropractic headache treatments, including spinal manipulation and massage therapy. Their doctors will create a therapy plan tailored to your needs.
Call (770) 623-9291 now or complete the online form to schedule an appointment.